Thursday, July 30, 2009

Life In Bethesda, MD

This past Wednesday I was able to get a taste of what it's like to live in Bethesda, MD.

If you have been following some of my previous blogs, then I'm sure you are familiar with the night class I am currently taking, A Taste Of D.C. It is by far the most exciting academic course I have ever taken. Each week, our class visits a neighborhood in or around the D.C. area. Some of the locations we have seen thus far include: Capitol Hill, Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, Alexandria and more! This week we visited good ol' Bethesda, MD. Prior to our visit, I had only passed through the area once. It was kind of hard to get a feel for what the neighborhood was like, but from quickly glancing at the buildings and streets, it seemed like a quaint little town.

On Wednesday July 29th, I was given the chance to really explore and learn about Bethesda. My class and I met up at the Bethesda metro stop. Once we were all together, we proceeded down Wisconsin Ave and then eventually ended up in a little shopping/restaurant area near Woodmont Ave. For dinner, our teacher let us go off individually and select the restaurant of our choice. My friends Joelle, Karen and I decided to try an entree at a placed called Lebanese Taverna Bethesda. This was actually my first time trying Lebanese food. For my order, I decided to try the chicken shawarma. It was incredible!

Once we finished up with our meals, we met back up with the rest of our class and then proceeded up Bethesda Ave and stopped at a little rest area next to Barnes and Noble. This is where my classmate Megan gave her presentation on Bethesda. After listening to her speech, I found out that Bethesda is actually where the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants novel takes place. I also learned from Megan's presentation that the average income is around $110,000/yr and the average house costs about $900,000... perhaps this why I became so fond of the neighborhood?!



No comments:

Post a Comment