Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy Fourth of July!

What better way to celebrate the Fourth of July than to share it with someone you love?

This weekend my boyfriend Terry came down to visit for the holiday. Before he arrived on Thursday, I had already created a list of places and sites that I wanted to take him to. In my head, I was thinking of how we would spend our first day in D.C. together... getting dinner at a local restaurant, going to a museum, maybe visiting the Lincoln Memorial at sunset, you know- cute things. Well, that's not what exactly happened.
After I was done with my internship work on Thursday, I eagerly hopped onto the metro and headed toward the capitol (where Terry was waiting). When we finally met up, neither of us could stop complaining about how tired of walking we were and how hot and humid it was outside. As a result, we decided to save all of the exploring for the next day and to just spend the rest of the day relaxing in the air conditioning and eating chinese take-out.

The next day came and it was finally time to sightsee! We woke up early (11AM is early for me) and got some brunch in Chinatown. After a delicious meal, we walked a few blocks and ended up at the National Museum of Crime and Punishment (check out the pictures!) Once we were finished there, we then headed over to the National Archives Building where we got to see historical documents like the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Although the line took us at least 2 hours to get through, it was still really interesting to see and well worth it.
































After we were done exploring, we hopped back onto the metro and headed back to Arlington.

The next day we got up and headed down to the National Mall. While we were there, we went and visited the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, as well as the White House.

After we were done sightseeing, we headed back toward the Washington Monument and found a little grassy area where we got to sit and see the fireworks! They were outstanding! I honestly had an amazing experience and I was so happy that I was able to share my Fourth of July with someone I love.... along with 600,000 others at the National Mall!

No comments:

Post a Comment