Friday, July 24, 2009

Welcome to The Torpedo Factory!

It was finally my turn to step up to the plate! This week was my week to give a presentation for my night class, A Taste of D.C. As part of the assignment, my requirement was to select a landmark or historical site and conduct research on some of its history and its significance to the neighborhood we were visiting that week.

On Wednesday, our teacher took us to Old Town Alexandria. I had only been there once before and it was for a short amount of time, so I wasn't very familiar with the area and its landmarks. After looking up some of the local tourist attractions, I came across one building called, "The Torpedo Factory Art Center." The name really stood out to me and the building seemed to have a lot of valuable history. After reading a few articles and reviews about the site, I found out that not only was it a torpedo factory in the 1920s, but it also served as a storage space for: art work and dinosaur bones from the Smithsonian, government documents from Congress, and even German war films and records from the Military. I was really fascinated by the information I found and so I decided to focus my presentation on this historical landmark.
Prior to giving my presentation, my class and I had met up at Chadwick's Restaurant. This is were we gathered together and talked about some of the places we have been able to visit while living in D.C., as well as the places that we still hope to see and experience. For me, my two favorite visits were to the Georgetown Waterfront and Adam's Morgan. As for the two places that I still hope to see, one would have to be Kenilworth Park and The Aquatic Gardens, the other would be the National Zoo.

I am actually planning to visit one of these two sites within the next week. Hopefully my plans will work out and I will be able to share my experience with everyone!

PS. The informational interview that I have been talking about for a few weeks now is going to take place this Monday at 11AM. Check back next week to see how it goes and what kind of feedback Marc (the gentleman I am interviewing) provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment