Saturday, July 25, 2009

World Football Challenge

So, how did you spend your Friday night... See a new movie? Take a road trip to the beach? Have dinner with some friends?

I spent my Friday at the Raven's Stadium in Baltimore, MD! For what you ask? The World Football Challenge of course! For those of who are not familiar with the WFC, it is a competition for international club football (soccer) teams. The teams come from both Europe and North America and each team plays the others once in a round-robin tournament format. I had the privilege of watching the game (between Chealsea and AC Milan) from up in the press box with all of the media and photographers! This was a real treat!

For those of you who still aren't quite sure of just how HUGE these teams are and how big of a deal this event is, David Beckham once played for AC Milan. You know, David Beckham, one of the most popular athletes in today's sports. FYI, he was the world's highest-paid footballer (soccer player) in 2004.

If this still does not impress you, then I don't know what will!

Anyway, the reason I was able to attend this event was because of my internship with Brotman Winter Fried Communications (BWF). BWF handles some of the public relations work for this event. When BWF mentioned they would need interns to help with the WFC, I volunteered immediately. I'll admit, when first signing up to help with this event, I didn't really know much about it. In fact, I didn't know a whole lot about football (soccer) in general. However, I love trying new things and this seemed like an interesting opportunity.

After watching an amazing game and attending a intense press conference afterwards, I really think I'm starting to take a liking to professional soccer. I even found myself rooting and booing for some of the calls that were made.

Who knows what's next, maybe I will make the initiative and purchase tickets for an upcoming game!








No comments:

Post a Comment