Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Tour of Georgetown

Wednesdays might just be my new favorite night of the week! Before I elaborate, Wednesdays are when I have my night class. Each week, we tour a new part of the Washington area and we also eat a big dinner together at one of the local restaurants. This past Wednesday, my class and I met up at Martin's Tavern in Georgetown. It was a great way for everyone to socialize, connect and also enjoy delicious food before we started our tour. Right after eating, we all met up outside and began heading toward Georgetown University (GU). On our journey their, a few of the other students and I went a little camera-crazy and took pictures of just about every other house we saw. A lot of the houses had been restored and remodeled, which is why they are so beautiful but also very expensive to live in. Once we arrived at GU, our teacher took us into one of the campus buildings and also to an on-campus church (the church just happened to be the same church where part of the movie, The Exorcist was filmed). Once we were finished there, we then headed down to the steps where another part of the movie was filmed. Even though I have never seen The Exorcist, it is still neat to be able to say I went to those sites.

Next we headed toward Wisconsin Ave., one of the main streets in Georgetown. It is lined with famous brand name boutiques, local shops and old landmarks. Our teacher took us to see the Old Stone House, which is one of the oldest structures in the Washington area. As one of the requirements for our class, each student has to give a short presentation on one of the sites we visit. Therefore, my classmate Jamie gave her presentation on the Old Stone House and talked about some of its past uses (a residence, a business office, and now a historical landmark).

Later on, we made our way down to the Georgetown Waterfront (one of my new favorite places). I have to admit though, I really didn't think it would be that nice of a place to see at night because I've been there during the day and it is absolutely stunning. It would be pretty hard to top. Well, I was wrong. The huge water fountains that I love were all lit up, each one a different color. The steps to one of the hotels there were lit too and at the top of the steps you could see a classy event going on inside, complete with a very talented jazz band I should add. Also, in one of the hotel/apartment courtyards, there were about a dozen trees all dressed in bright white lights, from the bottom of the tree trunks to the very tip of the skinniest branch. It was beautiful. Never again will I doubt the Waterfront nighttime scene.














No comments:

Post a Comment