Wednesday, June 3, 2009

First week as an intern

I cannot believe it is almost Thursday! Today was my third day as an intern and so far so good. Let me take you back to day one.

Monday morning, I got up, got ready, grabbed some breakfast and headed to the bus stop. When I arrived to my internship site, I was surprised to find myself the first person there. Eventually, staff members began arriving and I was able to enter. One of the executives even gave me a tour of the building and then showed me where my work station would be. I sat down and began to familiarize myself with the new surroundings and also some of the work documents. About an hour later, I was able to meet my account executive supervisor, Whitney. She was very nice and also very welcoming. I felt right at home. My first assignment was to browse through their list of clients and find out what exactly they focus on. After doing this, I was able to have a better understanding of each client's purpose, mission and needs.

After a successful first day, day two came around. I was still a little nervous, but I walked in with my head up and ready to start the day. As I walked up the stairs, I ran into another new intern, her name was Dana. We each introduced ourselves and then made a plan to meet downstairs for lunch. I then headed down the hallway toward my work station. I spent the next couple of hours reviewing more of the client documents and also refreshing my skills in Microsoft Publisher. Next, I started working on a design for a sample flyer, before I knew it, it was time for lunch. Dana and I, along with a few other interns, spent our lunch talking about personal experiences, where we were from and how we all ended up interning for BWF. It was a nice way of getting to know one another and also helped us feel more comfortable.

By the next day, we were all a lot more talkative and outgoing. We spent our lunch chatting away and laughing with one another. Once lunch was over, I headed back upstairs toward my station. Before I sat down, I asked one of the account executives if they had any projects for me to work on. Lisa Marie, AE and Internship Coordinator, said she had a media list that needed to be created. After gathering all of the details, I headed to my desk and began researching and typing up the list. Soon enough, it was 5:30pm and time for me to leave for the day. I told Whitney and Lisa Marie that I would not be in on Thursday because of a mandatory lecture I had to attend for The Washington Center. I then assured them I would finish the media list by Friday afternoon and would be free to take on more assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment