Sunday, August 9, 2009

Press Box with Charlie Brotman, the perfect way to end an internship

As you may or may not know, my internship agency (Brotman Winter Fried Communications) holds and plans several different types of events. Their latest event has been the Legg Mason Tennis Classic. For those of you who are not familiar with this tournament, it is one of the top 20 tennis tournaments in the world. Well-known players from all over the world come to compete against one another. This year, players such as Andy Roddick, Sam Querrey, Tommy Haas, and John Isner are expected to attend. Although I had practically no background in tennis and barely understood the game, I decided to sign up as one of the voluntary staff members to help out with the event. During my first day on site, I was fortunate enough to have some down-time in the media center where I was working. Therefore, I had one of the other interns, Jeff, explain to me the entire game and give examples of how it works. After two days of his lessons and Wikipedia-ing “tennis”, I knew the game inside and out (not really, but I had a pretty good understanding of it).

On Friday, my last day at the tournament, it turned out that we were a little short on staff. Normally, there are one or two interns who work in the media center and then another one works up in the press box with Charlie Brotman (the founder and owner of BWF). However, no one was able to work in the press box this day. Lucky me, I got to be “Charlie’s Angel.” This was my first time working the position, but surprisingly I wasn’t nervous, I was more excited than anything! My time in the press box went pretty smoothly. I successfully helped Charlie with the PA announcements and I also got to share a few laughs with him as well. For me, this was the icing on the cake. When Charlie had asked me if I thought my last day as an intern was going well I said, “Let’s see, working in the press box at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic next to Charlie Brotman, I’d say that is a definite ‘YES’!”

What a great way to end my summer internship!

No comments:

Post a Comment