Monday, August 10, 2009

Good-bye and Thank You

So I'm finally back home in Monongahela, PA. What a ride it has been!

On Saturday, Aug. 8th, it was time to pack everything up and move out of my apartment in Arlington, VA. The idea that I would probably never see all of my new friends at the same time again didn't even hit me until the night before move-out day. A bunch of the other interns from my building and I decided to have a "breakfast for dinner" goodbye-get-together. Everyone pitched in and helped make a gigantic and delicious all-you-can-eat dinner. After finishing up our second and third plates, we all sat down and started reminiscing on all of the fun times we have had together in D.C. It was a really nice opportunity for everyone to be together and to share some last laughs as one whole group.

Later that night, my parents arrived and they got to meet all of friends from the building. For me, it was a pretty special moment for them to finally meet the friends who I had been bringing up in conversations each time I would talk to them on the phone.

After a couple of hours, it was finally time to say good-bye. I went upstairs and started putting all of my belongings in boxes and bins. The next morning, we loaded up the car and began our trip back to PA.

As we started to leave Arlington, I began thinking about everything I had experienced and accomplished this summer. I thought it would make me sad, but it actually made me smile whenever I started to think about it all. I have been so fortunate to intern for an agency that has not only taught me so much, but has also shown me what a great staff is made up of. I have also been very lucky to experience a fun and exciting academic course that has significantly improved my knowledge of D.C. and the cultures it consists of. In addition to this, I have also made some really great contacts and even opened up several opportunities for myself. But in all honesty, the best part of this entire experience has been meeting the people I have met. Everyone from the interns, my roommates, my co-workers, my advisor, my A.M. bus driver, the guy who works the front desk at my apartment, etc., each person I have met has taught me a little or a lot about something.

Moving to D.C. for a summer internship was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made. If you had the chance to follow all or even some of the blogs I have posted, then I hope you were able to catch a glimpse of what my summer has been like. For me, it was more than just an internship. It was the experience of a lifetime.

Thank you to everyone who has helped make this experience possible and more thanks to each person who has followed along with me during my journey in D.C.!

No comments:

Post a Comment