Thursday, August 6, 2009

Last Stop, Chinatown!

This is it, my last week in D.C. Time has gone by so fast. Between my internship, my night class and the TWC (The Washington Center) programming, my schedule has been pretty busy. It feels like I just moved here last week.

This past Wednesday was our last time to meet for my class (A Taste of D.C.). To make this time memorable, our teacher wanted to take us to one of the most exciting and well-known areas in D.C., Chinatown.. or as some call it, “The New Times Square.” During our visit, we first met up at “Teaism.” This is a little food diner that is located just a block or two away from the Chinatown metro. Their selection of food is pretty interesting. For my order, I got the Turkey and Brie sandwich with a side of Miso soup. It was delicious and also very filling! After eating, we then proceeded down the street to the Smithsonian American Art Museum. This is located right across from the Spy Museum and the National Museum of Crime and Punishment. While we were here, Dr. Gueli began explaining the history of this area and how it has evolved into what we see today. Recently, there have been more apartments and housing lofts being built right along the main drag. For years there had never been any kind of housing vicinity. After capturing some of this information, we then headed toward the Verizon Center. This is where many concerts, entertainment and sporting events take place. One of the students in the class, Christian, even gave a short speech about the site and famous people who have visited.

After passing the Verizon Center, we also got to see some of the latest stores and restaurants that D.C. residents and tourists go to. Some of these places include: the Regal Theatre, Chop’t, Bar Louie, Dunkin Donuts, and more. For me, this was really exciting because I had only gone to Chinatown one other time and it was only to grab food real fast.

In my opinion, I think Chinatown was an excellent choice for our final class. I really enjoyed the area and its atmosphere. I’m hoping when I come back down to D.C. to visit sometime I will have more time to see and explore the area and all that is has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment